Monday, July 14, 2008

Erin Moore

I am so fortunate to have had the opportunity to attend the 2008 LDS at Virginia Tech! I took lots of photos and met lots of new friends!

On Friday night, we had a North Carolina Area Meet & Greet, which was very lively, as usual. It was wonderful to see fellow NC Leaders all in one spot again! It reminds me of how strong our Area is and how rich in talent, too! I believe that we had 33 in attendance from NC...that’s FABULOUS!

On Saturday, I attended a great session by Sue Hudler on The Art of Asking Questions. She really knows her stuff and I can see that we are so fortunate to have her in the Communication Skills Department—she brings her message with lots of humor and warmth. The entire group seemed to participate and...ASK QUESTIONS!

I was leading during the next two sessions. My first topic was Creative Community Outreach and my second was Helping the Large-Breasted Woman to Breastfeed. I really enjoy leading sessions at events, and I tend to run them more like meetings, calling for lots of appreciation and even brainstorming among the group rather than talking AT attendees. I like to have a rough outline of what I am doing, but leave room for others’ ideas. It’s not as formal as some, or as I would like, but I admit that’s my style. It does get everyone involved and I feel like, especially since it’s an LDS where it’s all Leaders and applicants that it helps for everyone to realize that even speakers are just Leaders, too! ;-) I always get a bit nervous before I speak, but my few years of speaking in front of the groups at Area Conferences has helped to get me out of my shell a bit.

As I sort of float through the LDS (and LLL in general), I wonder if other Leaders also wonder quite where they fit. I know what my job is, but I really have not been a Leader for THAT long and even though I jumped right into it in my typical style and found things to keep me busy, I still feel like I am trying to figure out where I belong and where I fit in this organization...even in my own Area...Department...everything. I do feel like the connections that we make at these events and conferences and such are so magical and I do remind myself to step outside of my comfort zone of who I know and tap into the wisdom and company of Leaders that I have never met before, have only heard of, or have met in passing previously. There is so much experience to learn from, so many women with the same passions and goals that even if I am sitting with strangers at a LLL event, I am HOME!

I was in charge of setting up karaoke on Saturday night and was so lucky that my Leader friend, Kristen (who is a very talented singer and blew everyone away), that I drove to VA with was able to do so much of the preparation since I was in back to back sessions with little time to physically get things ready. The Saturday evening karaoke/talent showcase was very, very entertaining and I was impressed by Kathy Kerr on the fiddle and she played a duet with a Leader’s husband who brought his acoustic guitar! It was fabulous. The kids were the first to get up and sing karaoke and tell jokes, though...so brave!

The Closing Ceremony on Sunday was so encouraging and motivating with an update by each of the EUS Division Deparments and a heartwarming slideshow featuring Leaders and events from all over the EUS.

Like many Leaders and applicants who attend the LDS, I am re-energized, rejuvenated, recharged and ready to rock and roLLL!!

THANKS RHONDA!

Erin Moore
North Carolina

No comments: